as i understand it...

the reason for the development of ejector guns in england, was so me load's loader could reload a pair of guns faster, so he could kill more pheasants as they were driven over his stand...not much sportsmanship in that...just killing as much as he could, as fast as he could...

ejector guns became popular here around 1900, due to the popularity of live pigeon shooting and pass shooting at flocks of waterfowl...

the demand to be able to put a lot lead in the air resulted in the creation of the winchester model 1893 pump gun...and others shortly thereafter...and there again its all about killing as much as you can as quick as you can...

and the ultimate high volume bird killing machine is of course the semi automatic self loading shotgun, beginning with the browning a5 in 1902...

it is a sad commentary, that so called sportsmen gave up the beautiful, graceful, elegant doublegon in favor of ugly, clubby, clunky high volume killing machines...

but, alas, as a result of the popularity of self loading guns, many fine vintage doubles wound up in the back of the closet and forgotten about...occasional one of these beauties surfaces and passes through my hands...what a joy it is to see, touch and handle them for a while, before they are passed to another who appreciates their special value...

Last edited by ed good; 11/13/21 07:35 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...