I agree with Joe Wood. years ago I developed a method of cutting off a small portion of a 2 3/4" hull, reloading using an overshot card so you ended up with a crimp but no center plastic. They worked fine but I really felt no difference between those shells and a reg 2 3/4" hull. Keep in mind all of these were loaded with 7/8 oz at below 1200 fps . My short chambered guns are from 1893, 1905 periods. Some had lengthened forcing cones some not. My resource for barrel questions wants to see over .105 right in front of the chamber, but another knowledgeable source quoted the .025 9" in front of breech. A recent discussion about reproofing an old gun with a UK gunmaker he said the barrels aren't usually the problem but the lockup and making sure the gun stayed tight was often an issue. Another friend whom I consider very knowledgeable about American and English best guns said unless you were planning to sell a gun in England he wouldn't send it back for reproof since it isn't needed here. Just use appropriate loads and enjoy it

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN