Those fine craftsman over in Germany make some really nice leather wallets sized to hold the various cartridges that are commonly used in Drilling or Combination Guns. Here on this side of the pond, most ammo carriers are for one size only: rimfire, centerfire or shotgun. With my Drilling -- I really need "all three".

I exchanged emails with a well known German distributor, but unless I order 500 Euro worth of product and cover all the import fees and shipping, I'm simply not going to get the 45 Euro combo cartridge wallet that I want from them... So instead, I made one for just $10.00.

Well, OK, I cheated -- and used ballistic nylon, not leather.

​This is what I started with, a brand new "Uncle Mike's Folding Handgun Cartridge Carrier 12 Rounds Nylon Black 88441" that I got from eBay for $10.00 delivered. Here is what it looked like "before", from the auction's ad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I then opened up two pairs of the sewn shell loops on the lower flap with a seam ripper. Oh, it ripped really good on the first one! Oops... It tore the middle area out, instead of cutting just the threads... So I had to heat the rough edges to seal them, and then sew it closed with a seam. This one actually holds the 16 gauge shell tighter than the shotgun shell loop on the left, where I was much more careful with the seam ripper. I might have to sew in a slightly pinched seam at the middle of that one later, but I didn't do it yet.

So here is what it looks like now -- all loaded with (6) 22 Mags for my Einstecklauf, (2) 8mm Mauser and (2) 2.5" 16 gauge shotshells.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OK, I will admit it doesn't exude "class" like a custom leather one would, but it does work and is fully functional. My German Drilling is fully capable of hunting any game that's open in the Maine woods in the fall -- all from just one gun -- and now all the ammo for it is carried in one convenient pouch.

Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to carry more than one caliber at a time, so if that's you too; then this might be helpful.

Old No7​

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." 2000 DTH