[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Had one of the finest pheasant hunts in recent memory today. On account of foul weather, yesterday became a sightseeing day. Today, however was a true banner day. The birds were taken by my Horton, boss, and father-in-law’s Belgian Browning. We hunted the same slough and weed field we hunted on Tuesday, with much better results. We also headed over to a WPA and hunted an 80 acre weed field adjacent to cut corn, which produced one bird. Then, we turned our attention to a 5 acre slough in the middle of a bean field, Where are we located a bachelor party of three.My 11 year old griff turned in a spectacular performance, hunting for five or six hours today. My best shot of the day was with the full barrel of the 16 gauge which broke two wings of a pheasant at 45 yards. The memory of the bird flapping around on top of a cattle-grazed hill in the falling sunlight will be one that I remember for many years to come. Fate dictated that we would encounter yet another coyote in the same Weed field as two days prior, However, on this occasion, A 65 yard shot with the full barrel of the 16 gauge gave him something to think about, but did not bring him down.

Owen