Originally Posted by bellasm
So, I found out something pretty interesting today. Turnbull does not use lacquer but, a shellac based varnish that is not sprayed but, wiped on. They were using Behlen's Violin Varnish that is basically a blonde shellac and gum additives. Mohawk dropped it from their line once they purchased the company. I am floored that is not a lacquer and that it is wiped on. It looks absolutely flawless when they do it. They said that straight blonde #1 shellac could be used as a substitute but, I don't think that would be as durable as a clear lacquer.
The ideal grade L.C. Smith has some deep relief engraving so, wiping it is out of the question. I will definitely be spraying the lacquer. I do not know if I will use a touch up gun fed by an air brush compressor or a regular gun fed by my upright compressor. Lacquer is supposedly very easy to apply. Here is a great link to another forum where they are discussing applying lacquer to smaller pieces. I found it pretty interesting.

https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/airbrushing-a-lacquer-finish.14202/

The touch up gun is all you need. If the compressor that drives it is oiless, so much the better. One less thing to filter. True lacquer is dry almost immediately and is very easy to work with.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted