Been a while since my last post back in March 2021. Fishing season, muskie chasing to be clear, takes priority. Now I am back at this Sauer hammer gun project.

I am working on putting the checkering back on the fore end and then the stock. As you may recall a previous owner sanded it all off. This is my first attempt at the art of checkering a complete pattern. I have recut worn checkering on other guns. This is a completely different game. My highest respect for the professionals in this field. Advice is always welcome.

For this project I assembled a full compliment of quality tools (DemBart, Gun line, and Ullman, plus many I made myself.) I have Kennedy's good book plus a couple of other how to books. (What I need is a good book on what to do when the straight line is not so straight and the pattern goes askew). After much reading, YouTube watching and practicing on a fore end blank, I started in. I am using a checkering pattern from another 1903 Loesche/Sauer hammer gun. I am using a 3:1 layout at 22 lpi.

These photos show my progress. Panel on the right in the photos exhibits less mistakes and was completed after the panel on the left. I have the upper half of the pattern to finish. Hopefully I will have all the checkering completed before quail season April 2022. That is the plan.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by LetFly; 10/21/21 03:35 PM.