Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by keith
Since we have the tools and technology to make certain that the existing inletting in the BTFE would not leave unsightly gaps if converted to a splinter, I absolutely would not just start cutting, and hope for the best.

I've no inclination to just start cutting without doing all the evaluation possible. My lack of knowledge on how to evaluate this is what led me to start this thread and pose the question. Are there other tools and technology that you know of that haven't been already suggested? If so, I could make good use of them now.

Nope Stan, when I suggested availing yourself of "the tools and technology" necessary to evaluate this proposed forend conversion, I was referring to the simple methods you used, and things like inletting black and other spotting compounds such as those mentioned by Kutter. No rocket science is needed

But even if your further checks confirm that you aren't likely to end up with unacceptable gaps, I think I'd still be inclined to try to find a matching forend blank, and make a new replacement, for the reasons already given. And that comes from someone who has no fondness for any BTFE. I have a similar project in the queue with a Grade 2 L.C. Smith that has a replacement BTFE. I already know the conversion to a splinter would leave gaps, but I haven't yet found a good matching piece of walnut that has the same strong fiddleback as my original buttstock and the replacement BTFE. I suppose I could just use any old chunk of wood, and some folks would never know the difference... If you catch my drift.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.