If you read the information about Boxall & Edminston laser engraving provided in the link in the original post, it sounds like the laser process is merely used to enhance the scroll. If that is the case, then there would still be costly hand work done.

I generally agree with what Dennis Potter says. But while I have been blown away by hand cut engraving so beautiful, intricate, and detailed that it seems as if Divine intervention was behind the enravers hand, I have to acknowledge that there is also some really bad hand engraving done too. There are plenty of guns that would look better without any engraving at all. In addition, I haven't seen any laser engraving that doesn't appear soulless. I actually find a lot of the acid etched scroll and game scenes on vintage guns more attractive, probably because there was still considerable hand work and artistic talent involved.

I don't know if technology will ever reach the point where a CNC controlled laser can exactly duplicate really good hand engraving. But if it does, we have to wonder whether that would take away the incentive for individuals to take up the craft, and it will then become a lost art.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.