Some years ago, I bought what was sold as a percussion double barrel shotgun, 3rd variation (whatever that meant!) at an estate auction. The condition was quite nice and I thought I would be able to flip it for a small profit but after getting it in my possession, I became sort of attached to it. It weighs about 10 pounds so a bit heavy for a small bore shotgun - it is a smoothbore. There is a simple bead at the muzzle for a sight but no rear sight or any indication there ever was one. It does not have any markings on it that I can find but, to me bears considerable resemblance to a plains rifle, ie a Hawken of the percussion gun era. It is iron mounted and the locks are a bit different in that the hammer is powered by a leaf spring (and not a V type spring) that is dovetailed into the lock plate to secure it. I would be interested to hear what you folks have to say about it. Are there any other forums out there that might be more focused on firearms of this type? Thanks for any comments!
I'm trying to upload pictures from my hard drive but can only find an option to insert with a URL. Is there a way?

Last edited by Gazz; 10/07/21 04:40 PM.

Gazz