It is interesting how the view on some predators has changed now that they are able to so closely monitor nesting activity along with studies on predation on radio-collared birds. For example, Stoddard thought that field mice were nest predators and discussed such in his famous book. They've since learned that they're not problematic, and in fact are beneficial to quail by providing an alternative food source to avian predators. Many of the other assumed nest predators are actually not as bad as once thought, while others are worse.
Many of our area plantations now trap year-round using cell signals to let them know when a trap has been caught something. This can really save time when making the rounds to check traps. There's also a guy around here that comes in for 2 week intervals and traps the big stuff, such as bobcats and even coyotes. I've used him a few years but he's pretty expensive and I quickly realized that I was low on the priority list compared to the large plantations that use him religiously year after year. I wasn't able to get him, for example, until June and July, while others got him in long before nesting season. You also soon realize that without a full court press on predators, the impact can be marginal since what you take out can be replaced somewhat soon as the void is filled.
Managing habitat and keeping plenty of areas in place for bird safety seems to make a huge difference, especially as I continue to see a steady increase in my covey count, which has about doubled over the past 5 years.
The fall shuffle should begin in week or so. As you know, that's one of the best times to get a good determination of this year's birds. If you enjoy that sort of thing, the DNR is currently looking for volunteers to help with the morning counts on their public properties.