Wymen's Commercial Encyclopedia 1887 - I've added some commentary to the Reilly history based on this eye-opening discussion:

"In early 1880 Reilly adopted the boxlock (Anson & Deeley 1875 Patent) and began building then in significant numbers, apparently in marked contrast to other London gun makers.*112w The boxlock looks to have been frowned on by London gunmakers for some reason, possibly as being "plebeian." Yet Reilly publicly embraced it. It fitted his anti-establishment style and his model for selling to the guys actually on the ground carrying their own guns. It may be that Reilly, always a gambler on technological innovation, decided that its simplicity and durability were the future of shotgunning, a conclusion reinforced by early 1880’s writings. However, at the same time Reilly was dramatically expanding serial numbered production from 650 to over 1000 a year and the A&D boxlock would certainly have simplified the manufacturing process." Either that or Reilly began to avail himself of Birmingham produced boxlock actions and finished them in London which would also be logical.

The reference is a description of the Reilly Exhibit at the 1885 International Inventions Exhibition in London.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

I think I've contributed a bit to this historical question. Opinions anyone? Is this helpful at all or am I totally off-base, missing the point?

Last edited by Argo44; 10/04/21 11:19 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch