Agree completely on the "bigger gun/shell/choke combination" in times of scarce birds, Paul. But ......... (there's always that "but") I need to have some clue beforehand that will be the case. And, I didn't today. I was advised earlier of a scouting report by the owner that "the field was wrapped up with birds" a couple of days before, and equipped myself accordingly. Regardless, there is wisdom in your contrarian line of thinking, and I make full use of it in the late season when the birds are predictably scarcer here, and shots are longer. I guess you could say I got blindsided this afternoon. However, in the end, 15 doves did too.

I could kill a limit with a 12 ga. easier, faster, and usually with less shells. But, I just enjoy the challenge of the smallbores early in the season. Had I taken my Beretta 687 20 ga. today I could have been sitting in the shade guzzling a cold Lipton Citrus flavored Green Tea an hour earlier. The verdict is ....... I'm a hopeless dove nut, and a smallbore nut ............. but, I'm as happy as a man with good sense.

May God bless America and those who defend her.