I read through all of that again and found one of the links on page 4 to be interesting. It was on the Shiloh site and the rifle similarly blown up was a late Springfield and the load was 25 grains of 5744 (note - the link to the manual and stated maximum loads with several lead bullets) but...http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=284436#p284436 it turns out the shooter disassembled his remaining loads and found "one or two" that were double loaded. I found a mention of something else of interest and of possible bearing on the issue - 5744 can jam up in the measure. Now if one load was 3 or 4 or 5 grains light it might not be noticed with normal bench to bench conversation going on but if the next one was a max load (or maybe a little better) to start with and got an extra 5 grains and 5744 tends to spike pressure rapidly with overloads, well... I know for sure 5744 will jam up because it happened hast week in my Harrells but was quite noticeable in the clear drop tube. Anyway, I always use a flashlight and double check the powder level in every case in the loading block before the bullets go in. Take care!

Last edited by HalfaDouble; 09/05/21 06:29 PM.