Originally Posted by Carl46
Just saw on TV some major forest fires near Ely. Hope they don't get near your intended destination. Ely is where we used to set out into the BWCA.

6 weeks to go for me. Loyd we have had some conversations in the past. I hunt well to the East of you on the tip of the Arrowhead in Lake and Cook.

Fires are real, and a real threat. Hope they don't end up in your neck of the woods.

I know pretty much every square inch of the Greenwood Lake fire. DNR expects first containment Sept. 1. GIS programmer put together a layered map that drills down to the landowners level. Not there is not a lot of people that own land in Superior NF but there is. I have hunted every bit of the current burning area.

It is updated every couple of hours.

Map

Up to date Greenwood fire map

I know the area from the Falls to LOW well. Although now grouse hunt in Lake and primarily Cook County.

The Gunflint is closed from the North End of the lake where the cabin is North.

Going to be an interesting year but I really hope not too interesting.

Fingers crossed for both of us! Dryer than a popcorn fart.

SD isn't looking much better at least on the NC ND area 30 miles East of the River. According to the Admiral that stopped on his way back through East when I gave him a bunch of 16 ga. shells he said anyone with beef cattle is selling them ASAP. Of course they have already authorized selling of CRP crops. And most farmers have already said they aren't going to harvest and thrown in the towel. Go to SD first 2 weeks of Nov. because they normally have the crops out then or are working on it. Going to be an interesting year to say the least across the upper midwest.

Good luck!!

Son of my current Toller will be 11 months old in October. He is a real PITA with impulse control. But I am so looking forward to seeing the light come on in his eyes. Mn. or SD don't care but hope it happens first on ruff. After that it is fun and games being his first year. And my last with a pup given my age.

Like Clint said a man has to know his limitations. Almost scares me that I finally understand that now....