Thanks Stan, yup It makes sense to pay attention to the weather, where ever North is of the hunt. For some areas, you don't need an extended cold snap. Literally, small water can freeze overnight, and the ducks are gone. When my boy was younger we were on a decent duck hunt on fairly big, maybe a few thousand shallow acres, water and there was an overnight cold snap. I told him to just forget it, but he insisted that we check it out the next morning. There was a small handful of high flying geese headed somewhere else, and a solid sheet of ice. My boy was skating around, there was nothing to hunt. I knew it was easily wadable, so I was half hoping he would break through for not listening and staying off. It's true though, the big ducks will tend to hold out the longest. I think you may be located in wintering grounds, but the big boys might tend to short stop above you.

If I am not mistaken, the generic forecasts are for a late start to winter, maybe well into November before the ducks get pushed out of the potholes. But, on just casual observing, nothing official, there are few ducklings around the hens, the potholes are small and shrinking, and lots of predator activity. Hay is supposed to be in short supply this winter in large parts of northern plains. I think it's a tough season to be a first year bird, trying to grow and prep for migrating. It's just some thoughts.

I would edit to add a thanks much to Hal for his report.

Last edited by craigd; 08/17/21 09:37 PM.