I am working on a small center fire Martini action that I want to barrel/chamber for the 218 Bee. I was just reading through an old NRA publication "The NRA Gunsmithing Guide - Updated" that has an article written by Frank De Haas titled "Converting the 310 Martini". In the article De Haas says the main work needed on the action is to bush the firing pin to then allow for a smaller diameter firing pin. He says if the original is not suitably bushed the usual result when firing the 22 Hornet, 218 Bee or 357 Magnum is that the primer flows back in to the firing pin hole and binds up the breechblock.

De Haas recommends drilling out the firing pin hole and installing a 6 x 48 threaded bushing. Then drilling the bushing out to either 1/16" or 5/64". Then turn down the firing pin to fit.

In other articles and discussions I've seen over the years I don't recall anyone else bringing up the need to bush the firing pin.

I would appreciate if anyone can anyone offer experience with either bushing the small Martini or not bushing it?

Gary Erickson