Not trying to win a debate here, just proffering a somewhat widely held opinion and an anecdote.

Years ago I was dove shooting with a friend who used a SxS and 9 shot chill.
While walking out of the field, a great big cock Pheasant flushed at about 20 yards. It startled both of us as
we were in serious conversation about all the shots on dove we both made and missed. Though he shouldn't have and probably out of instinct,
he raised and fired one shot out of his IC choked bbl. That rooster absolutely folded stone cold dead in a big 'ole fluff of feathers.
I have bird hunted over 60 years now and have never seen anything like that before or since.

When we cleaned that bird we took note that not one single feather was pulled into the meat by the shot, and, not one penetration
hole could we find in that bird anywhere.

Sectional Density impact kills. Dove and pigeon shooters have know that for years, and little to no damage to the meat at all; in most cases,
they die by shock. With a dove, if you're not there to retrieve it quickly, often they have been known to "recover" and fly off.

They used to write about Sectional Density Impact quite a bit a number of years ago; I haven't seen much about it recently.

In the grouse woods for example I would consider it a poor choice as it likely wouldn't make it through the trees, branches, leaves or brush but
it might be said that the Sectional Density Impact of #9 shot keeps it from being relegated to the "useless" column.