I don't find shot in every quail my buddy kills, but when I do find one in a quail it is nearly always one he killed with his 9s.

Another thought I've been mulling over is why people want to use 9s. I can only assume it is for pattern density. I can think of no other reason to choose them over larger shot. Okay ....... if we accept that 9s have lost most of their punch past 25 yards, the question that then comes to my mind is why anyone needs more density, at 25 yards and under, than 8s can provide. Does anyone seriously think that 8s are so large that they give patchy patterns at 25 yards? I use .410s a lot, and pattern all my loads, before using them on game, on my grease plate. I've never yet seen a pattern of 8s that was too patchy to dispatch a dove, quail or woodcock cleanly at 25 yards. I even have had spectacular results on an early season dove field with 1/2 oz. loads of 8s. So, if 8s will provide all the pattern density needed to cleanly take small game birds, why go to a pellet size with much less energy, like 9s, or (heaven forbid) 10s?

Larry, I know you can extend the usefulness of a doublegun by using two different loads in the two barrels, and I've tried it in my type hunting, with mixed results. I'd rather use the same philosophy with choosing shot size that I do with choosing chokes. Go with one that will do everything, even if it is not perfect for some situations. I shoot tighter chokes than most people I know and shoot with. I punched into NSCA Master class in 2010 using my MX-8 with .020" fixed choke in each barrel. I reason that tight chokes will break birds at all distances, even though they may not be the popular choice for close-in, unpredictable targets, like rabbits. I'll drop a spreader in for the close rabbit, but that is a luxury that sporting offers that hunting does not, necessarily. Same deal with me for shot size ........... I want to use one that will do it all, near or far. All that worrying with different loads for different barrels is a good idea ............. choke tubes are too, for sporting. But, I find great freedom and a greater ability to focus on the task at hand if I keep it simple. YMMV.

May God bless America and those who defend her.