Thanks for the responses so far, but no one seems to have addressed my experiences with 9s staying in the bird much more than 8s or 7 1/2s. I'd appreciate any comments about that. I was attempting to convey, probably poorly, the whole bag of reasons I don't use 9s. I may have failed to emphasize how important the "flesh imbedded shot" issue is to me. I enjoy my birds on the table, and biting into shot takes away a great deal of that enjoyment. It happens from time to time, sure. But, not nearly as often with larger shot as with 9s.

I've no doubt that 9s work perfectly for any small game birds at 25 yards or less. It decks 'em. I've done so many times in the past, and seen my buddy do it. But, when you hit a going away quail, or woodcock, or dove, in the rear at 20 yards and you don't have him in the core of the pattern, and see him drop a leg but keep barreling away, then what have you got? You've got another load of 9s to now attempt to knock down a wounded bird at 35 yards? Not suitable at all to me.

Anytime we use anything other than a single shot gun on birds we should be considering what that second shot may be like, and giving it just as much weighty consideration as the first. We talk about hunting over dogs as if it guarantees close shots. Well, it does often close the distances to a degree on the first shot, at the flush. But, what then? How about second shots at a wounded bird, or even an opportunity to double, but the second bird is out of range of the 9s? How many will, or are happy to, say to themselves "Nope, can't take that shot with 9s"?

I'm slowly using up my stash of .410 reloads, with 9s, on rattlers and cottonmouths. Works fine on them, and if it leaves shot in the meat it's not an issue for me. I don't eat them.

May God bless America and those who defend her.