My German Gunsmith friend, Walter Grass replaced the hinge pin and refit the barrels for a permanent repair; but when a customer insisted, I have also watched him perform a temporary repair. His first step was to expand the hinge pin. He did this by taking both caps off and locking a correctly sized punch in the vise( to act as an anvil), then with help to hold the action, he expanded the pin using another punch and heavy hammer on the other end of the pin. He also peened the locking lug on the barrel with a flat faced punch working on the slanted rear face of the lug. Depending on condition, he would close the frame on the sides of the lugs. He did this by locking the frame in the vise( smooth jaws) and "shocking" it by hitting the fixed jaw with the heavy hammer. The most important part of this process is years of experience. It is not a long lasting repair and the customer must understand and agree that the process might damage the gun. I only watched this on drillings and other parts of the repairs do not apply to double barrel shot guns( tightening loose claw mounts). I forgot, he also stretched the forearm "iron" by peening it on the underside( hidden in the wood) with a punch that looked very much like a cold chisel that had been rounded and polished smooth.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 08/01/21 11:31 AM.