Another "don't know where to put this" type of comment. Figured I'd put it here since many load for the old BP cartridges. Perhaps this will get some search engine hits and help spread the word.

Accurate/Hodgdon has this to say about 5744:

Accurate 5744 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, extruded powder. This unique powder can be used in a wide range of rifle calibers and magnum handguns. 5744 is characterized by excellent ignition and consistency over a very wide performance range. Low bulky density and superior ignition characteristics make 5744 an excellent choice for reduced loads in many rifle calibers and in large capacity black powder cartridges such as the 45-70 through 45-120 and 50-90 through 50-120. Made in Canada.

I've only recently started using 5744, but one thing that is clear and obvious is that the claim of 'low bulk density' is simply incorrect.

I've verified that the listed 'volumetric density' on the Lee chart is correct.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/docs/products/LE~90058.pdf

In fact, AA 5744 is DENSER than either IMR 3031 or IMR 4198, both powders commonly used to load the 45-70 as is AA 5744.

Careless hand loaders have come to grief double charging these cases. If you think 'low bulk density' as claimed by Accurate/Hodgdon will help you in any way to avoid an accident with AA 5744 you are mistaken. In fact, the very low charge weight and high charge efficiency is actually working against you and making a double charge even more possible if you aren't PAYING ATTENTION.

Be careful, as always, with any powder that could possibly double charge a case. This is of course not unique to BP rifle calibers, it's a long standing issue with pistol calibers.

And I should say here to cover all the bases that AA 5744 is NOT a 'volume for volume' black powder substitute as one fellow found out when he listened to some genius who told him it was. A full case destroyed a rifle.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble