The ejector is self contained and was housed entirely in the fore end. It has been removed and after a couple of months I've see no issues so far, but decided to ask just to be careful.

As to the gun itself, I may have the distinction, dubious or not, of owning the least valuable working Rigby side lock. It is a 16 g side lever, 2.5" chambers, with the Rigby Rising Bite, that was made in 1883 and re-sleeved in 1955. The bores are bright and shiny, but the exterior needs to be polished and re-blacked. There was a wood extension added, it's a good piece of wood and comes close to matching the original stock, but whoever added the extension never completely finished fitting it and there is a slight ridge between the extension and the original stock and the wood does not appear to have been re-finished since it left the factory. It is just slightly off face and that will the first thing I have corrected.

In the next 3-5 years, when I have the money, it will go out to be put back on face & the ejectors fixed, the barrels polished & re-blacked and then have the stock extension join to the original stock fixed and re-finished.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.