Originally Posted by Hal
You must live in an area with an entirely different agricultural system than the upper midwest. I don't know a single farmer that does not fertilize annually with urea or anhydrous N, even here in former grassland with some of the richest soils in the world.

Hal, you need to read more carefully I guess. I dunno why you got the impression I live in an area that doesn't "fertilize annually". This is what I said, verbatim:

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
While it is true that "new ground" yields much better the first year than older production soils, we fertilize to produce yields that are very high, higher than any new ground could ever produce without fertilizer.

Please note the small word "we", meaning, I'm included.

I may be looking at your posts through a telescope backwards but your phrases like "stronger perennial habit" screams catch phrases of the dreamers, to me. Either a plant is a perennial, or it's an annual. Dunno what you mean by "stronger perennial habit".

Anyway, enough of this. I hunt because I enjoy the challenge, the meat, and the elements. I don't have an urge. It's part of me, it's who I am. 'Nuff said.

May God bless America and those who defend her.