Originally Posted by bobski
making desperate hunters shoot without a choke in the bbl ruining it. need I go on?

No, maybe you should actually back up. It's obvious to me that you have no actual experience with having done this this. I have, and my friend shot a Beretta Extrema all one afternoon in Cordoba, Argentina with no choke tube in place, intentionally. He was put on a stand that placed him in very close proximity to the doves, and didn't have a CYL tube with him. He killed over 1000 doves that afternoon. I cleaned the plastic out of his choke threads in just a few minutes with a bore brush. No damage at all. Don't you think 1200-1300 shells, without cleaning the threads, would have caused a problem if you were right?

Oh, and lest you think it was a foolhardy decision to do so, he is the owner of CompNChoke, and knows his way around barrels. He has threaded hundreds of older barrels for choke tubes, and cut off and re-threaded dozens where customers had blown the tube out by letting it get slack. He knows what ruins barrels, and what doesn't. And, I've also seen this done on a close rabbit target on the clays course many times, with no ill effects.

May God bless America and those who defend her.