Interesting question! I have two brothers, one older and one younger. We grew up in a hunting household and a small community where hunting was a big part of the culture, big game predominately. My older brother rarely hunted big game but did hunt waterfowl and forest grouse and as he got older he gave up hunting altogether. My younger brother hunted, again, predominately waterfowl and forest grouse, but as he's gotten older he still hunts waterfowl and uplands but has become more involved with big game hunting, mainly deer. Myself, I hunt about everything available and when young, it was always a conundrum for me, which to hunt elk or waterfowl, since they opened up on the same day. I still hunt as often as I'm able and will as long as I am physically able, waterfowl, upland birds and big game and since turkeys were planted in our area and have thrived, I've added that to the list.

I have nephews, who's dad was not a hunter, but they've always been interested in hunting and some who are not interested at all in hunting. Same with my son. I used to take him out hunting regularly when I lived in AK for ptarmigan on a snogo, but as he got older he lost interest completely and doesn't hunt now.

I've often thought about our differences (my brothers and I) in our attitude toward hunting, where we all grew up in the same household, had the same opportunities to hunt, yet, I was the only one that was and am still somewhat fanatical about it, although a bit less so than when I was younger. I don't really have an answer concerning the urge to hunt. I suppose it's an innate urge that's stronger in some, than others.

Cameron Hughes