Last I heard the African Elephant is not on the endangered list.

Elephant ivory brought into this country after the mid 1980s has been illegal to sell in any form or fashion for a very long time.

Sale and importation of Ivory has been documented for years and years....myself I don't think there ever was a lot of illegal ivory smuggled into this country.
We have alot of people that went to Africa hunting and killed lots of game including lots of Elephants I know of lots of people around Memphis that killed more than their share.

You have to be a hunter to realize this ivory is a trophy....you dont have to like it but Elephants weren't endangered by hunters.

All Obama's law did was punish the people thats ancestors went over to Africa hunting years ago by blocking the sale of the trophy ivory after the hunters death.

In most states raw legal pre mid 1980s ivory is legal to sell with in state lines if you have documentation.

They're are exceptions to this. In most liberal states...Yankee states up the east coast and Yuppie states up the west coast and most pot head states like Colorado....some even went so far as making of 10,000 year old Mammorh ivory illegal to buy or sell.

I'm in Tennessee say I had a Colt with pre 1980s ivory grips and I wanted to sell it on Gunbroker I could legally sell it to a guy Georgia but not to New York...take the grips off the gun and you can not sell the grips alone across state lines.

There's a twist in the law that gives a percentage. I believe it can't be over 50 % of the product or 50 % of the value of the product. Main trouble with using ivory to make things is you can not buy or sell it in raw form across state lines

Unless you're unfortunate enough to live in one of the Commie states....then the restrictions are greater.

I must say Sanford I would've went for a few more brass pins in that butt ugly coffin handle. That knife was a waste of good ivory....shewww.