Originally Posted by KY Jon
You need to take a Nylon 66 apart to really appreciate the thing.

Did that once, in college. They were having a turkey shoot on Friday to see who could place a bullet closest to the center. It was a .22 rifle shoot ............closest to the bullseye. Well, when I arrived back at the dorm on Sunday evening I decided Dad's rifle had never been stripped and cleaned, and I would do so. The turkey shoot was on the following Friday, so I took her apart. And, cleaned her. Putting her back together proved to be not so easy. There was a spring that was a b---- to get back in place. I worked for several days before getting it in properly. At least, I thought it was "properly".

When Friday came I took it down to the area where the turkey shoot was being held. I learned that you paid your fee, they gave you a cartridge, you shot at a red dime-sized dot, with open sights, at about 25 yards, and waited until 9 more did the same thing. Then, the 10 targets were compared and the winner was chosen, the one with the bullet hole closest to the center of the red dot. I asked if I could have a cartridge to shoot at the ground just to see if the rifle would function, as I hadn't tried it since reassembling it. They said "No". I took my bullet, aimed carefully, and sent it. The range guy walked down and looked with me as he pulled the target, and the hole was dead center ......... a pin wheel. Took a turkey home to Mom that afternoon.

I don't own a Nylon 66 now, but if I ever do I won't take it completely apart, and have to put the spring in again. It's a dog.

May God bless America and those who defend her.