Ryan,

Around here the term for what you describe is, "Trading Up". I was shooting on a Saturday and at the end of the day, there was an 870 left in the rack and a K-80 missing. Someone happened to see the K-80 headed for a car and yelled out, Hey Wrong Gun. The young man said oops, my mistake. Swapped back and was gone quickly. We were too slow to think in was on purpose at the time. But hindsight...

Or, it was an innocent mistake. I've been to charity events where non-gun people were shooting borrowed/rental guns. They didn't know a Beretta SO5 from the Beretta 686 they were using, until the SO5 owner saw his gun in our squadmate's hands.

Or,, the Saturday after Christmas at the range. Some college students and their dates rented guns for clays. The ladies rented Beretta 20s, the men Beretta 12s. One lady grabbed a 12 instead of her 20, dropped 2 shells in, then click. The men checked the first barrel, pulled out a 20. They didn't check BOTH barrels and reloaded her with 12s. The first shot was fine, the second found the other 20 in the way. No one was hurt, but they bought a gun.

All Best,

Joe in Charlotte