I had a 28 gauge Browning Model 12 for a number of years. The prior owner had opened the choke to I/C, added a mid-rib bead and a recoil pad, so I got it fairly affordably. I bought it at Dave Riffle's suggestion. I'd called him looking for a Winchester Model 12 28 gauge and he told me point blank that if it was a shooter rather than a collector, I ought to save the money and buy the Browning. So I did.

The prior owner had shot it enough that it was as slick as either of the two original Model 12s (both 16s) I've owned. It was very well finished and never bobbled or gave me a lick of trouble. I sold it when I bought my first 28 gauge sxs (an AYA 4/53).

I see an occasional 20 in the local gun shops, but haven't seen another 28 in years. I'd certainly think about adding one to the stable if I were in an acquisition mode, but I've been trying to thin the herd and it's unlikely I'll ever own another.

The last time I saw one for sale, it was the higher grade, new in the box, and languishing on the dealer's shelf with a $1800 price tag. The last Grade I which I encountered was used and was also collecting dust at $900. I think the availability of original 20 gauge Model 12s in shooter condition depresses the price of the Brownings if they are used, as Browning collectors seem to want new in box condition.