It is right that we remember June 6th, 1944 and the sacrifices made there by Americans, British, Canadians and numerous other Allied countries.

However there were other theaters of war that deserve to be remembered as well:

Italy, where Americans (of all colors), British, New Zealanders, Indians, Nepalese, Poles and other Allies fought against determined German resistance as the Allies moved north.

The Chinese, Burma, India (CBI) theater, where British, Indians, Nepalese and Americans fought against the Japanese in the jungles of Burma, while the Chinese also fought against the Japanese in China and Northern Burma. The sacrifices made in the CBI tied up Japanese troops that could have been used against the US Marines, the US Army and the Australians in the Pacific & Southwest Pacific campaigns, two more theaters of war.

My grandfather served in the 97th Infantry Division which was supposed to be the invasion reserve division for Operation Olympic. After the Battle of the Bulge, SHAEF realized that the Germans had more fight in them then SHAEF had thought and the 97th Division (and I presume other US Divisions) was sent to fight in Germany, primarily with Third Army. My Grandfather rarely discussed his service with my father and he passed before I was born. Based on what little he told my Father and my own research, it is likely that my Grandfather either participated in the liberation of a concentration camp or saw the survivors of a camp. My Grandfather did mention killing a SS officer dressed as a priest, something that greatly bothered him.

Last edited by Chantry; 06/08/21 09:23 AM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.