Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
So much fanfare is made over automatic safeties. I don't care for them and can't see why some think they are so important. If they are, why weren't they designed on semi-autos and pumps? And, don't tell me it couldn't be done.

If manufacturers put automatic safeties on pumps and semi-autos, the safety would engage after every cycle of the action. Nobody would want to have to disengage the safety between every shot. That would nullify the biggest reason people buy them. It would be less desirable than a fart in church.

I don't mind automatic safeties a bit. If you think about it, there are quite a number of safety mechanisms shooters have to deal with and quickly adapt to. Revolvers and single shots may have nothing. Flintlocks, percussion guns, and hammer guns rely upon half-cock. Pumps and semi-autos typically have the trigger block pushbutton in the trigger guard. Lever actions are made with or without hammer block safeties. What looks like a tang safety on a drilling may be the selector for the rifle barrel, which also raises the rear sight. Bolt rifles have several types too. The only real problem with any of them is when a shooter relies upon them as a substitute for safe gun handling.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.