Lived in Currituck for quite a few years when I was stationed in the Tidewater Area. Lake Gaston would not be my first choice to be this time of year. Then again on your way to WNC could you stop by Wake Forest and wish my mother who lives near my youngest sister there a Happy 84th Birthday for me please?

Did my twilight tour from the Navy in Asheville, lived in Arden and covered WNC. Then spent ~5 years working for a VAR after I retired. When they filmed The last of the Mohicans a lot of adds went out looking for film extras. Hard pass on that for me.

Not much in Chimney Rock, did do a golf course there with a friend a long time ago. We walked it and management was surprised and said most people use a cart. I was a LOT younger and it was a lot of up and down, did wish had a cart from what I recall. Never really cared for golf anyhow and would rather shoot golf balls by rolling them down the rib and flipping them in the air and shooting them. I can slice a golf ball as well with a shotgun as I can with a club.

Biltmore Estate seems to be the destination place everyone wants to go in WNC. Never went but everytime family came to visit they all went it was right up the road from me. $25 to visit always said if you gave me $25 a pop I'd have the largest home in the US also. I see they are up to $76 a whack now. You've got to be kidding me...

They have a sporting clays course there too but it is private from what I understand. And am sure way overpriced.

If it was me I'd keep on going West a bit and go to Cradle of Forestry in Pisgah. And up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then again if it was me I'd skip all that and just hit the Davidson River with the fly rod. But guess now every Tom, Dick and Harry fishes it.

Wouldn't bother with Chimney Rock so much. And for that matter Asheville always was the hippy capital of the East. From what a friend said that called last week that still lives there it is even worse now. There is always a Pagans, Heathens, and witches meet up going on someplace in Asheville. Just for a reference. He grew up there and is ready to move to Eastern Tn.

Originally Posted by GMCS
If you hear any drumming out near chimney (grouse type) please share

Pretty sure I shot the last ruff in WNC more than 20 years ago frown In Transylvania County. So I moved to Mn....

There is something special about Southern Appalachian grouse, as rare as they are. And not just because most of them seem to be red phase. Good luck to you in your search for them!