We have some long straights stretches on this portion of the Savannah River, and it's a good sized river with at least 150 yards from GA to Carolina, in most areas. The nearest boat landing from my house is only about 1 1/2 miles. We don't hold those speeds long. We usually cruise at 50-60 mph to the sandbars, then hang out there all afternoon. My Allison will run about 90, maybe a touch above on a good day. My son's Triad STV will probably run 110-115, driven right.

I've enjoyed speed for most of my 69 years, but I don't break the law on the highways by speeding. I drag raced at the track many years ago. But, there's no speed limits in GA on open waterways, except in specified areas. You just can't endanger others. Game wardens don't particularly like it, but the law is the law. Neighbor of mine set the record for highest speed attained in a single outboard, multi-seat boat, on this river about 12 years ago. He ran an STV at 151+ mph, recorded by two different GPS speedometers ............. upstream. There's a semi-"cult" following of people across the USA who like to run single engine, 18-21 foot, boats with (usually) 2.5 liter, two-cycle Mercs that are making 240, 260, 280 and 300 hp. Then, the guys with the big $$$ to spend can have custom built billet aluminum ones that make over 425 hp from that V-six block.

It doesn't take the place of shotgunning, by any stretch, but it's a fun distraction on a hot, summer, weekend afternoon. Here's a video of my neighbor who ran 151 mph running a different setup on the Suwanee River at 143 mph. His boat is kinda in the middle of the video. Michael Dixon. He makes two passes, as I recall. You may want to mute the sound, because when he makes the 143 pass there is some jubilant profanity by the guy with the radar gun. Just wanted to warn you in advance.

May God bless America and those who defend her.