I have a collector Friend with a problem, and questions in need of an answer from an expect gunsmith; which disqualifies me. My friend is presently engaged in the restoration of a very high grade LC Smith; a special order gun recorded in the ledgers and grade stamped on the frame as an A-1 grade, but with engraving and features much higher than A-1. This gun will require a new stock, but also has a few other issues beginning with a crack on each side of the rear portion of the lug cut in the bottom of the frame. I'm assuming these areas could be welded up and the engraving repaired, and am thinking doing so would require annealing and re-hardening the frame; but my friend does not want the frame re-hardened as new case colors never look appropriate on an vintage gun. So my first question is this; can this area be micro welded and engraving repaired without the frame being re-hardened and still maintain the correct appearance? If so, who should do the work?
My final question, since I can't seem to post pics here, is will someone be kind enough to post pics so that the issue can be viewed and assessed?
Advise and thanks
Tom