Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I never knew a speckled perch was really a crappie until I saw a picture of one in a magazine. And what's worse, some people call them croppies. If you're going to say it, say crap-pie, not crop-pie. If they're crappy, just say so.

In these parts Stan, most fishermen pronounce the word croppie. I Googled "crappie pronunciation audio" and got the result with the pronunciation spelled out as "kraa-pee", and if you click on the face, there is an audio clip that you can play fast or slow. I couldn't post a workable link, just a screenshot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Another result had this to say:

Why is crappie pronounced Croppie?
The word crappie comes from Canadian French crapet “sunfish.” Speakers of English borrowed the word first as crappé [krop-é], pronounced like “crop-ay,” which then spawned the variant croppie [króp-e].

I also found a YouTube video that pronounced the word as "crappie", but many of the comments that followed vehemently disputed that version.

I've never eaten them caught from very warm waters, so they have always tasted great to me. I guess that you could say I have never tasted a crappy crappie. But none compare to the cheek meat from a walleye. Now that is a delicacy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.