Gene, I'd encourage your son to try something that is fun, but at the same time provides training with the shotgun that might be life saving. It's shooting at clay pigeons from the hip. Some ranges won't allow it, but a backyard trap and a buddy are all that's needed to safely do so. It's lots of fun and it puts eye-hand coordination fully to the test. With the speed of a bear, in charge mode, there could be the possibility of not being able to get the shotgun unslung and properly mounted in time. A hip shot could be lifesaving, though certainly not the most desirable if time allowed. Even practice hip-shooting at a standard stationary silhouette would be good to ingrain the right visual pictures and muscle memory.

Once, in Argentina on a high volume dove shoot I was having an especially good afternoon, as far as hits to misses. Because of that, I was having lots of fun. I was using my trusty Beretta 687 SP II Sporting model in 20 gauge. On a lark I said to my bird boy "Ver este", and proceeded to kill the first six doves (incomers) straight, from the hip. I then couldn't hit another one, and we both had a big laugh on me. Practice like that is fun, and useful. I'd liken it to pistol practice where one has to draw and point-shoot without the luxury of the "Weaver Stance", and aiming. I was taught to practice this by a friend who served numerous tours in the Middle East as some type of special forces operative, then worked as a contractor there up until last year, when he retired and came home. My first tendency with this method, and live fire, was to shoot way low, although with good windage. A little more practice gets the round hitting up in the vitals, but it was eye opening for me just how low those first practice rounds went. When my friend pointed out how quickly an attacker can cover 21 ft. I could see the need of that type practice. There just may not be enough time for a proper Weaver stance.

Best wishes to your son. My eldest is mountain climber and hiker in AZ. I remind him often about the importance of not doing this alone, because of lions.

May God bless America and those who defend her.