Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Interesting read, Brian. Thanks.

I understand the argument about ease of carry being important, so that the arm is always with you. But, just for curiosity sake, how does a load of 00, or 000 buckshot stack up in stopping a bear attack? I read it has been the choice of many African PHs when having to follow up a wounded leopard. But, a leopard is diminutive in size when compared to a bear. When I try to imagine a bear attack I cannot help but wish for a short barreled 12 ga. pump. Being a shotgunner a hundred times more than a pistolero I think I would be light years ahead of the game (pardon the pun) with a shotgun. In my work, which keeps me in rural and often isolated areas, I can possibly drive up on a drug deal going down, or be accosted by a meth-head wanting to steal my truck or tools to sell for a quick buck at anytime. Although the .45 is at my side in Condition One, there is a loaded 12 ga. in the truck, too. Concerning altercations which humans I've always agreed with Jeff Cooper who wrote that a pistol's purpose is to fight your way to the nearest shotgun.

But, back to the question, what would be the effectiveness of a load of buck to a bear's head, under charge? I'd think it would be a charge stopper, but would like to hear of specific examples.

Oof. I just pray you never have any trouble.