I was stationed in Anchorage for 9 years. In my spare time I was a Wildlife conservation officer. If I was not wearing the cloth of our nation, I was out and about hunting, fishing.

My personal carry bear gun was my King Cobra, loaded with very hot solids. I only fired it twice in anger towards a bear. That’s another story.

While performing my second fun job as a wildlife officer, my side arm was a SW 44 mag and 870 loaded with slugs.

For the two shots at the bear, I was fishing the Russian River, a gentleman was camped about 75 yards up stream. I knew fishermen were being pestered by a bear with all the shouting and get out of here going on most of the evening not dark at 2am , then all of a sudden a blood letting screams then a lot of shooting and screaming from others. I knew it was not good, it lasted less than 10 seconds, not sure how I got to the camper, but the Beer had him by the leg dragging him I shot twice at less than 3 yards. Another fisherman beside me fired 1 shot from a 454 which the bear was dispatched. Not sure who or what killed the bear Stan, the first 5 shots at point blank was a 45acp which did not dispatch the bear.

Guy was taken by ambulance and I spent an extra couple hrs filling out paperwork that was not planned for.