I think the link to the 9mm ammo had an interesting story, but the guide that dispatched the small grizzly with the compact pistol was a really calm, accurate shot. I don’t think many handguns can transfer shock like a high power rifle round, so the thinking might be deep penetration.

I still remember watching some outdoor show where the host stumble and shot his African PH with a .458 solid. It supposedly passed through and through, and the guide was able to walk out and get to a hospital, but anyway, deep penetration might somewhat hope for good placement. Let your boy loose, emptying the magazine as quickly as possible, I don’t know, it may look more like fun than putting energy into a smaller target.

I think it’s a good thing that you folks are going to practice, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to have confidence that his pistol will feed that type of ammo, and being comfortable with one in the chamber. I think the most striking thing to me about the original story was the cell phone call for help. Your son probably has more dead spots than reception. Have fun at the range.