Originally Posted by Der Ami
Chantry,
I haven't been in this discussion until now, and going back to your initial question you stated you tried a steel block with an .846" hole. You didn't say how this hole was formed, so I'm guessing it was drilled. This isn't a bad start but I suggest the hole must be highly polished and the entrance should be chamfered and also highly polished. Also, in accordance with greener4me's advice, I suggest you make up another block to use first, with a polished hole half way between .846" and the measured diameter of the largest "hull". A hammer is not the best way to force the cases into the dies( blocks), but if you have no other way, you should cushion the heads with a block of wood. However, if you have the ability to bake the "steel block" there is likely to be a vise and drill press in the area, if not an arbor press. A vise, as has been suggested is much better than a hammer( pad the head to protect it). A large drill press spindle moves up and down by a rack and pinion so can be used as a light duty arbor press( be sure to avoid using enough force to damage the gear teeth). So the process would be force the lubed cases into and out of the die with the largest hole, then the one with the next size hole, then the 10 ga. FL sizing die( keep the cases lubed). If they then chamber, I suggest you anneal the cases about half way down the body, to prevent splits when you fire them.
Good luck.
Mike

Thanks, I think I will to try this approach since it seems something I can do with the tools I have (although I'll buy an inexpensive arbor press if I can't borrow one). It would be silly to spend more money on tools I almost never need which will cost more than the hulls cost new.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.