Originally Posted by L. Brown
Life is sometimes unfair. Those of us who've owned dogs for a long time understand it's really unfair that a human's lifespan is so much longer than a dog's. And spending a dozen or more years with them, then sending them on their final journey when it's time . . . it never gets easier.

But for me, life isn't life without bird hunting. I've now reached an age where I'm thinking that maybe my youngest dog, now 2 years old, will be my last one. That's because I wonder how much hunting I'll be able to do in my 80's, which aren't that far away. But I intend to do everything I can to make sure that I can keep on enjoying dogs and bird hunting for as long as I can.

“I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?"
Sir Walter Scott

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier