Thank you all gentlemen for your input. There is some useful information here and some beautiful guns shared.
I'd like to add a couple further bits of advice I got as a result of this thread.

1. I had a 16 gauge in my mind because they are going to be slimmer and better to carry afield. After review, I'm more open to a 12 gauge. Truthfully, most of my bird hunting is for stocked pheasants at my club where carrying a heavier gun wouldn't be an obstacle. If I were to make a grouse trip up north where I'd be carrying a gun all day, I'd just bring a different and more suitable gun. By considering a 12 gauge, it gives a more ready ammo selection and increases the likelihood that I'd shoot a drilling at informal clays with friends or in a round of skeet just for fun. I love 16 gauges but generally only shoot them at game and shoot 12 gauge or 20's at clays.

2. I'm going to save up a bit more before buying a drilling. The advice shared was to spend a little more on a nicer drilling and I'd be happier in the long run. Less expensive drillings on the market are likely to be either chambered in obsolete or less shootable calibers, or are going to be guns that have been abused or messed with and in need of repair- as in expensive repair.

I enjoy the thrill of the chase as much as, if not more than, having the prize in hand. The additional information I've picked up in this thread already has me perusing drilling listings more intelligently and I will to continue to enjoy my search until I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Jason