Lloyd the middle gun is a Winchester 21 that has been restored and restocked. The gun to the left of it is also a Win 21, first year that has also been restocked and restored. They are both 30" but the LOP on the middle gun is long. Those guns are spendy, very spendy!

My friends own and shoot pretty everything across the board out there. Most of us reload and download to lighter loads when using hunting guns for clays. To get into a target SxS at a reasonable price with a reliable gun I think it is hard to beat a 12 ga. BSS with 30" barrels. If they fit you. Some are non selective triggers but that is a non issue for me. One less thing to think about. As you mentioned the 12 ga. guns are usually heavier and demand is not as great as it is for sub gage guns.

Nothing wrong with a semi auto either as your main clays gun. In a SA wouldn't hesitate to get anything from a Tristar G2 up through Beretta A400. And the G2 is right where your initial price was. Especially if a person was used to a pump gun. To be honest seems like most people shoot a single barrel better than doubles, no matter which way they are stacked. As long as the gun fits you, that is key. Most shooters will be glad to let you try their gun out on a station if you ask them. Don't be afraid to ask!

With you being left handed it is even more critical if you can try before you buy. Most of the semiauto guns out there now have shims that you can adjust the gun for fit. Including fitting cast for a lefty. Just a thought.