I appreciate the follow up comment about the work around with the barrel marking. I was responding to Bill's thought about complexity and uniqueness, which in my mind is lost if that barrel is altered. My personal preference would be to rebarrel a rifle, and retain the original barrel with the rifle. Some rifles have serial numbers and histories and unique chambers/rifling that would be lost, a decision that should be different as the individual. In my mind, 9.3mm would be non standard for an original 8mm rifle, but not all 8mm rifles are equal. That is not a personal attack or criticism against Bill, just an opinion.

My own small tale was brought up by Steve. I have seen some very nice results by cutrifle, and I was thinking a not so special 30-06 sporter could be opened up to a 9.3, but I was just not interested in the potential of going off the grid just as I sent something off in that direction. I hope Bill isn't upset by lined barrel comments, but well done, there is no muzzle ring, and maybe has application to restore some obsolete bores and chambers. No, I do not believe it is a substitute for a rebore, but it may be an option to leave the exterior of an uncommon antique barrel unaltered.