Great suggestions all, my thanks for the well-considered input! This is a new game for me, one I truly know very little about. I certainly have my biases towards doubles, but everything else is open to consideration. After a few days of internet searches and even some local gunshop visits I know a lot more than I did when all this started. As seems to be now-normal in the gun world, the options are nearly endless. New guns have come onto the market in the last few years that seem, at least initially, to be very good values but....enough time hasn't passed to fully determine if they really are. I'm also faced with the present realities of recent political change severely affecting the core economics of shooting (and possibly gun ownership itself). That causes me to approach this whole process with even more than my normal deliberation.

I don't generally just throw money at a situation and expect to be happy with the results. Hearsay evidence is happily accepted and considered, as well as other anecdotal input, but... I already am familiar with many of the time-honored gunmakers being mentioned here and know from first-hand experience that their products are genuinely worthy of most of the praise being heaped upon them. It is very likely that, in the end, I'll do the safe thing and go with a known entity. But....I may have to get there in a roundabout fashion. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions before I'm done.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/15/21 09:46 AM.