ift that reads GewehrLauf-- not Gewehr Lau-- Poldi Wittinger Stahl-- your gun has top quality proof steel barrels. Sounds like a fine piece indeed. Many GI's brought back "duffle bagged"ea pons- to get a K98 Mauser Gewehr (rifle) they would saw off a portion of the buttstock, just past the cut-out to retain the sling, and stuff the Mauser in the center, wrapped with articles of clothing. Not too surprised that your Grandfather was a Sgt. he was about to do a G.I. bringback--most Privates weren't that lucky-- and as the old saying goes- "NCO's run the unit"== usually senior NCO's- the officers were there mainly for inspections and parades--I thank your Grandfather in absencia, for his service to America and freedom from tyrany, as I thank and remember my late Father-In-Law, who served in Patton's 3rd. Army--promoted from Corporal to Sgt. after his actions at Bastogne, he pulled two paratroopers pinned down by German mortar fire, received the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star, after his recovery he was assigned by Patton to interogation of captured Germans- as he was fluent in their language. I am glad to hear that you wish to keep this weapon and honor the service of your Grandfather- RWF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..