[ Do we continue to lump the earliest Hammerless models (stamped NEW ITHACA GUN), as Crass? They are somewhat different.]

They are but clearly there were transition guns being built and the earliest hammerless Ithaca patents were from Leroy Smith and Charles Pierce not Frederick Crass. However, since tradition attributes the model to Frederick Crass (and since he was “...a skilled machinist and model maker...”) I guess we do, too, until something turns up that gives us a better understanding of those earliest models.

[Are there any 4 screw Crass models or any 5 screw Lewis examples?]

John, remember I said to Lloyd, “...the Crass is a very interesting model (with proportional addictive properties).” This whole pin issue if one of the reasons it is. To answer your 4 pin/screw question, yes, there are. On p. 280 of the 2nd edition there is a picture of an unstocked very early hammerless frame (#7859) that appears to be a 4 pin example. The photo clarity is not good enough to say that definitely, but since the 1888 catalog contains an illustration of a 4 pin model I think we can safely say that there were some. Additionally, hammerless is spelled “hammerles” on the frame. Another, “wonder why.”

In addition, some early guns had 6 pins (there is a picture of one on page 40 of both the first and the second edition books and several more in the addendum of the 2nd edition.). And if that isn't interesting enough, besides the 5 and 4 pin versions there are examples of both 3 and 2 pin models! Apparently, Ithaca was continuously working on refining the hammerless “Crass” design.

And as for a 5 pin Lewis. Let’s save that discussion for another thread.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 03/18/21 07:35 PM.

Speude Bradeos