Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
How many cartridges are you men actually shooting?

Do you even fire 1000 in a year?

I don’t see many 80-year-olds at my club.

None that are shooting 250 rounds a week.

I think this anxiety is misplaced.

Starting the beginning of next month at least 1,200 rounds a month until grouse season opens. More in a good month. If I don't shoot at least a flat a week it is a crappy week or I am on call which is the same thing.

Not as much as I used to as I am getting too old for Blizzard leagues and that other winter nonsense. The cold hurts my bones now, 80 is a ways off for me yet though.

My concern is that several of the replies are spot on. Not sure we will ever see a flat for $65 or under again but hope I am wrong. 20 even 30 years ago a box of shells cost $5-$6 so we have had it pretty decent for awhile. Not that I am complaining. I used to reload to save money but 5-10 years ago when lead really took off in price purchased factory shells as it wasn't worth it to reload the 12 and 20. Or even the 16 when Cabela's had the Herter's on sale for $50 a flat delivered to your door. I've started reloading again but of course components are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. Lead is still the most expensive component of the shell, as long as you don't pay what the price hogs are asking for other components.

Have enough factory and reloads to get through the summer of this year, I think. Been through shortages in the past but never anything like this. Powder and 22 yes. But never seen where you couldn't find factory shotgun shells anywhere. Well maybe 40+ years ago when 16 ga. shells were hard to find and I finally bought a 12 ga. because of it. But nothing like this.

Last edited by Cold Iron; 03/14/21 12:02 PM.