I tried 0000 steel wool and it did not cut the bluing one bit. I then tried a scotch brite pad with not taking any bluing off either. They weren’t abrasive enough to remove bluing. All they will do it remove the uneven bluing build up to give a nice even dark bluing completely hiding the Damascus pattern. I then tried 400 grit sand paper and it took the bluing off where I didn’t want it. I sanded nice and light while running the barrel under water. To wash it away and to be able to tell your getting a nice even look. Go slow and take your time. You’ll be scrubbing all day with 0000 steel wool and your barrel will still be dark blue. All 0000 steel wool does is remove the uneven build up. You need to remove the bluing you just applied so it leaves only bluing in the Damascus pattern. I have finished many complete guns with Oxpho bluing and can tell you your not going to scrub the bluing off enough to see the Damascus unless you are going to go through a couple of bags of 0000 steel wool . You will end up with a dark blued barrel with just one coat. Larry potterfield showed on his YouTube video to refinish Damascus barrels using 320 grit to sand his Damascus barrels before bluing. I cannot see any sanding marks from 400 grit. It looks like it was polished when I got done. You can alway try 600 or finer sandpaper if 400 scares you. Most of the guns below had deep rust pitting on them of removed by filing, sanding, and polishing before bluing. They all looked like they were ready to junk out and disassemble for parts.

Here is a few other complete Oxpho blued guns I’ve done recently

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img][/img]

I even did a fake case hardening look...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/oCwclWa.jpg[/img

It’s your gun, do what you want, but at least you can see results of someone that actually refinished a Damascus barrel instead of taking advise from someone who thinks they know it all. You’ve seen my results and it works. Good luck, and post your barrels when done.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03/06/21 12:36 AM.