John often has an interesting viewpoint but I always consider his experiences as a limiting factor in his views. Mostly clay targets and a bit of bird shooting from what always seems like a static position. That against much more walk up hunting we tend to do. We end up needing a gun for close or far and capable of shooting much heavier loads. If I knew every shot was going to be at 30-35 yard, overhead birds, I could learn how to use light loads like the he favors. But walk up hunting often gives you 35+ yard shots at bird, not presenting good consistent shots. It takes a lot more energy to kill a going away pheasant than one coming right at you.

Feel is such a subjective thing. One mans light and nimble is another mans worthless wand which he struggles to shoot well. Quality is something that is a bit less hard to evaluate but every maker would deliver as nice a gun as the buyer was willing to pay for. If you have ever seen a Lefever
Optimus you know what I am talking about.

But I do think we Americans have never been as fussed about our guns as our British cousins. Perhaps because we always could freely buy and use them where it was more restricted in use over there. If I can buy a fleet of cars I might not be that picky about anyone of them. They are just a way to get around. But if I could only have one it becomes a bit of a status symbol so extreme quality might carry more weight. We like durable while they like style. Try putting 50,000 rounds through a well maintained Parker and it’s British equivalent. See which one makes it.